Back to blog posts
25 Sep 2008
- RubyGems doesn’t print LOCAL/REMOTE titles for
gem queryand friends if stdout is not a TTY, except with –both.
- Added Gem.find_files, allows a gem to discover features provided by other gems.
- Added pre/post (un)install hooks for packagers of RubyGems. (Not for gems themselves).
- RubyGems now installs gems into ~/.gem if GEM_HOME is not writable. Use –no-user-install command-line switch to disable this behavior.
- Fetching specs for update now uses If-Modified-Since requests.
- RubyGems now updates the ri cache when the rdoc gem is installed and documentation is generated.
- Gem::manage_gems now warns when called. It will be removed on or after March 2009.
- RubyGems 1.3.0+ now updates when no previous rubygems-update is installed. Bug #20775 by Hemant Kumar.
- RubyGems now uses the regexp we already have for
gem list --installed. Bug #20876 by Nick Hoffman.
- Platform is now forced to Gem::Platform::RUBY when nil or blank in the indexer. Fixes various uninstallable gems.
- Handle EINVAL on seek. Based on patch in bug #20791 by Neil Wilson.
- Fix HTTPS support. Patch #21072 by Alex Arnell.
- RubyGems now loads all cache files even if latest has been loaded. Bug #20776 by Uwe Kubosch.
- RubyGems checks for support of development dependencies for #to_ruby. Bug #20778 by Evan Weaver.
- Now specifications from the future can be loaded.
- Binary script uninstallation fixed. Bug #21234 by Neil Wilson.
- Uninstallation with -i fixed. Bug #20812 by John Clayton.
- Gem::Uninstaller#remove_all now calls Gem::Uninstaller#uninstall_gem so hooks get called. Bug #21242 by Neil Wilson.
- Gem.ruby now properly escaped on windows. Fixes problem with extension compilation.
gem lock --strictworks again. Patch #21814 by Sven Engelhardt.
- Platform detection for Solaris was improved. Patch #21911 by Bob Remeika.
Other Changes Include:
gem help installnow describes version argument to executable stubs
gem help environmentdescribes environment variables and ~/.gemrc and /etc/gemrc
- On-disk gemspecs are now read in UTF-8 and written with a UTF-8 magic comment
- If the SETUP_OPTIONS environment variable is set, pass its contents as arguments to setup.rb
- Remove deprecated constant warnings and really deprecate them. (WIN32, etc).
- Now uses ~/.gem/cache if the cache dir in GEM_HOME is not writable.
- Deprecate options to ‘search’ other than Gem::Dependency instances and issue warning until November 2008.
- –destdir folder structure now built using Pathname, so it works for Windows platforms.
- Fixes to run tests when under test/rubygems/. Patch by Yusuke ENDOH [ruby-core:17353].
- Locale-free patch by Yusuke Endoh [ruby-core:17444].