Back to blog posts
16 Jul 2014
RubyGems 2.4.0 includes minor enhancements and bug fixes.
To update to the latest RubyGems you can run:
gem update --system
If you need to upgrade or downgrade please follow the how to upgrade/downgrade RubyGems instructions. To install RubyGems by hand see the Download RubyGems page.
- The contents command now supports a –show-install-dir option that shows only the directory the gem is installed in. Feature request #966 by Akinori MUSHA.
- Added a –build-root option to the install command for packagers. Pull request #965 by Marcus Rückert.
- Added vendor gem support to RubyGems. Package managers may now install gems in Gem.vendor_dir with the –vendor option to gem install. Issue #943 by Marcus Rückert.
- Kernel#gem now respects the prerelease flag when activating gems. Previously this behavior was undefined which could lead to bugs when a prerelease version was unintentionally activated. Bug #938 by Joe Ferris.
- RubyGems now prefers gems from git over installed gems. This allows gems from git to override an installed gem with the same name and version. Bug #944 by Thomas Kriechbaumer.
- Fixed handling of git gems in a lockfile with unversioned dependencies. Bug #940 by Michael Kaiser-Nyman.
- The ruby directive in a gem dependencies file is ignored when installing. Bug #941 by Michael Kaiser-Nyman.
- Added open to list of builtin commands (
gem opennow works). Reported by Espen Antonsen.
gem opennow works with command-line editors. Pull request #962 by Tim Pope.
gem install -gnow respects
--conservative. Pull request #950 by Jeremy Evans.
- RubyGems releases announcements now now include checksums. Bug #939 by Alexander E. Fischer.
- RubyGems now expands ~ in $PATH when checking if installed executables will be runnable. Pull request #945 by Alex Talker.
gem install -g --explain. Issue #947 by Luis Lavena. Patch by Hsing-Hui Hsu.
- RubyGems locks less during gem activation. Pull request #951 by Aaron Patterson and Justin Searls, #969 by Jeremy Tryba.
- Kernel#gem is now thread-safe. Pull request #967 by Aaron Patterson.
- RubyGems now handles spaces in directory names for some parts of extension building. Pull request #949 by Tristan Hill.
- RubyGems no longer defines an empty Date class. Pull Request #948 by Benoit Daloze.
- RubyGems respects –document options for
gem updateagain. Bug 946 by jonforums. Patch by Hsing-Hui Hsu.
- RubyGems generates documentation again with –ignore-dependencies. Bug #961 by Pulfer.
- RubyGems can install extensions across partitions now. Pull request #970 by Michael Scherer.
-sis now short for
--sourcewhich resolves an ambiguity with –no-suggestions. Pull request #955 by Alexander Kahn.
- Added extra test for ~> for 0.0.X versions. Pull request #958 by Mark Lorenz.
- Fixed typo in gem updated help. Pull request #952 by Per Modin.
- Clarified that the gem description should not be excessively long. Part of bug #956 by Renier Morales.
- Hid documentation of outdated test_files related methods in Specification. Guides issue #90 by Emil Soman.
- RubyGems now falls back to the old index if the rubygems.org API fails during gem resolution.