11 May 2020
April 2020 RubyGems Updates
Welcome to the RubyGems monthly update! As part of our efforts at Ruby Together, we publish a recap of the work that we’ve done the previous month. Read on to find out what updates were made to RubyGems and RubyGems.org in April.
RubyGems changes in April included a fix for a recent regression in RubyGems to interfere with common bundler usages, improvement to a missing spec error, and shipping a new RSpec runner that works better with parallelization. We also updated our CI to ruby 2.7 and made a PR to manage bundler development dependencies through bundler.
In April, we worked on keeping RubyGems.org dependencies up to date. Thanks to @aditya, we sent email notification requesting users to enable MFA leading to three fold increase in MFA enabled account.
In addition to those developments, we worked on the following:
- Merged bundler-site and RubyGems guides PRs.
- Updated our ElasticSearch Index to support prefix queries; previously these were returning incomplete search results.
- Investigated Intermittent CI failure rubygems/bundler-site/issues/519.
- PR to add validation to string columns with user input rubygems/rubygems.org#2346
- Fixed the broken animation on stats page and ensured Github stars count were using the metadata URI attributes rubygems/rubygems.org#2335
- Worked on optimizations for our stats and just_updated endpoints, this will help us reduce 1200ms and 600ms in response time respectively. rubygems/rubygems.org#2333
- Finished work on reset of rate limit on successful gem push rubygems/rubygems.org#2311
Thanks to @johnfrancismccann, our releases page shows a consistent number of items per page.
For the month, Rubygems.org gained 70 new commits, contributed by 8 authors. There were 337 additions and 143 deletions across 39 files.
Learn more about contributing to RubyGems by visiting the RubyGems Contributing Guide. We welcome all kinds of contributions, including bug fixes, feature implementation, writing and/or updating documentation, and bug triage.