14 Sep 2020
August 2020 RubyGems Updates
Welcome to the RubyGems monthly update! As part of our efforts at Ruby Together, we publish a recap of the work that we’ve done the previous month. Read on to find out what updates were made to RubyGems and RubyGems.org in August.
This Month, we made improvements to the man page generation process to ease contribution to the Bundler documentation. We also and reviewed and merged some PRs from various contributors. We’re thankful for our supportive community. <3
We also deprecated
bundle cache --all in favor of explicitly configuring
bundle config set --local cache_all true.
As always, we continue to fix bugs, review and merge PR and follow up with issue triaging.
In August, we added a webhook configuration to Slack, set up Terraform modules sending Slack notifications from AWS Lambda, and completed the following tests, improvements and fixes:
- tested and deployed a PR for blocking -/_ variations of the gem names – which are most commonly abused by malicious actors – and fixing SQL query missing index.
- debugged failing rspec failing builds and updated backfill required_rubygems_version task to required_ruby_version
- added basic auth to staging.rubygems.org, loaded production dump and did a test run of rake task to backfill required_ruby_versions.
- ran rake task to backfill required_ruby_versions on production, regenerate versions.list file, verify info_checksum mismatch and purge info keys on memcache and fastly. This will ensure bundle install has more successful runs on more than 30k versions, instead of throwing
Gem::RuntimeRequirementNotMetErrorwhen required ruby version was not satisfied.
- add tf module for cloudwatch alerts on alb, ec, es, rds and sqs. set alert threshold as per trends rubygems-terraform#3
- reduced docker image size of rubygems.org by 100 MB by removing sass-rails from the production image
- resolved tickets on help.rubygems.org
Learn more about contributing to RubyGems by visiting the RubyGems Contributing Guide. We welcome all kinds of contributions, including bug fixes, feature implementation, writing and/or updating documentation, and bug triage.