11 Aug 2021
July 2021 RubyGems Updates
Welcome to the RubyGems monthly update! As part of our efforts at Ruby Together, we publish a recap of the work that we’ve done the previous month. Read on to find out what updates were made to RubyGems and RubyGems.org in July.
In addition to that, RubyGems saw several bug fixes and updates this month, some of which include the following:
- investigated various RubyGems and Bundler issues on GitHub such as #4717 and #4719.
- worked on the Bundler Version Locking RFC - #29.
- merged an enhancement that will make setting the
RUBYGEMS_GEMDEPSenvironment variable used for avoiding the need to use the
- worked on automating the process of reproducing builds for gems - #3118.
- fixed several outdated definition issues (detecting whether there are Gemfile changes over the lockfile or not, to potentially reuse the information in the lockfile and avoid having to resolve dependencies at all)
- fixed the
--conservativeflag to allow finer-grained bundle updates.
- worked on smoothing the transition to secure RubyGems sources fully and fixed the regressions we create as we proceed.
While working on these changes, we also simplified bundler internals and achieved faster bundler/setup performance.
In July, Rubygems gained 169 new commits, contributed by 14 authors. There were 1,878 additions and 1,237 deletions across 152 files.
In July, RubyGems.org saw several bug fixes and updates, some of which include the following:
- updated Kubernetes from version
- debugged and resolved CPU spikes on the database by removing page entries info from the gem index page - #2738.
This month, Rubygems.org gained 27 new commits, contributed by 3 authors. There were 865 additions and 747 deletions across 13 files.
As always, we continue to fix bugs, review and merge PR’s and reply to support tickets.
Learn more about contributing to RubyGems by visiting the RubyGems Contributing Guide. We welcome all kinds of contributions, including bug fixes, feature implementation, writing and updating documentation, and bug triage.