Back to blog posts
15 Sep 2004
by fred, the rubygems robot
- Remove need for library stubs. Set the RUBYOPT environment variable to include “rrubygems”, and a normal require will find gem files. Continue to use ‘require_gem gem_name, version’ to specify gem versions.
- Deprecated “test_suite_file” gemspec attribute in favor of “test_files” array.
- Generates rdoc by default on installs.
- Adopted tar/gzip file format, thanks to Mauricio Fernandez.
- “gem rdoc” allows generation of rdoc after gem installation (will add a “gem test”
- Application stubs can now accept an optional parameter of VERSION that will run an arbitrary version of the application requested.
- Various bug fixes
- Various platform-independency improvements
- “gem spec –all” displays spec info for all installed version of a given gem.
- Dynamic caching of sources
- Support for user-definable sources on the command line (thanks Assaph Mehr)
- More intelligent support for platform-dependent gems. Use Platform::CURRENT when building a gem to set its platform to the one you’re building on. Installation displays a choice of platform-dependent gems, allowing the user to pick.
- Added “gem unpack” for “unpacking” a gem to the current directory