Back to blog posts
29 Mar 2008
- RubyGems now uses persistent connections on index updates. Index updates are much faster now.
- RubyGems only updates from a latest index by default, cutting candidate gems
for updates to roughly 1/4 (at present). Index updates are even faster
gem list -rmay only show the latest version of a gem, add –all to see all gems.
gem specnow extracts specifications from .gem files.
gem query --installedto aid automation of checking for gems.
- RubyGems works with both Config and RbConfig now.
- Executables are now cleaned upon uninstall.
- You can now uninstall from a particular directory.
- Updating from non-default sources fixed.
- Executable stubs now use ruby install name in shebang.
gem unpackchecks every directory in Gem.path now.
gem installnow exits with non-zero exit code when appropriate.
gem updateonly updates gems that need updates.
gem updatedoesn’t force remote-only updates.
gem updatehandles dependencies properly when updating.
- Gems are now loaded in Gem.path order.
- Gem stub scripts on windows now work outside Gem.bindir.
gem sources -rnow works without network access.
Other Changes Include:
- RubyGems now requires Ruby > 1.8.3.
- Release notes are now printed upon installation.
gem env pathnow prints a usable path.
gem installreverts to local-only installation upon network error.
- Tar handling code refactoring and cleanup.
- Gem::DependencyInstaller’s API has changed.
For a full list of changes to RubyGems, see the ChangeLog file.