Back to blog posts
15 Apr 2009
Select New Features:
- RubyGems now loads plugins from rubygems_plugin.rb in installed gems. This can be used to add commands (See Gem::CommandManager) or add install/uninstall hooks (See Gem::Installer and Gem::Uninstaller).
- Gem::Version now understands prerelease versions using letters. (eg. ‘1.2.1.b’) Thanks to Josh Susser, Alex Vollmer and Phil Hagelberg.
- RubyGems now includes a Rake task for creating gems which replaces rake’s Rake::GemPackageTask. See Gem::PackageTask.
- Gem::find_files now returns paths in $LOAD_PATH.
- Added Gem::promote_load_path for use with Gem::find_files
- Added Gem::bin_path to make finding executables easier. Patch #24114 by James Tucker.
- Various improvements to build arguments for installing gems.
gem contentsadded –all and –no-prefix.
- #validate strips directories and errors on not-files.
- #description no longer removes newlines.
- #name must be a String.
- FIXME and TODO are no longer allowed in various fields.
- Added support for a license attribute. Feature #11041 (partial).
- Removed Gem::Specification::list, too much process growth. Bug #23668 by Steve Purcell.
- Can now generate an RSS feed.
- Modern indicies can now be updated incrementally.
- Legacy indicies can be updated separately from modern.
Select Bugs Fixed:
- Better gem activation error message. Patch #23082.
- Kernel methods are now private. Patch #20801 by James M. Lawrence.
- Fixed various usability issues with
gem updatenow rescues InstallError and continues. Bug #19268 by Gabriel Wilkins.
- Allow ‘https’, ‘file’ as a valid schemes for –source. Patch #22485.
- Now removes existing path before installing. Bug #22837.
- Uses Gem::bin_path in executable stubs to work around Kernel#load bug in 1.9.
- Correctly handle build args (after –) via the API. Bug #23210.
gem install --no-user-installnow works. Patch #23573 by Alf Mikula.
gem uninstallcan now uninstall from ~/.gem. Bug #23760 by Roger Pack.
- Clarify RubyGems RDoc installation location. Bug #22656 by Gian Marco Gherardi.
- Allow setup to run from read-only location. Patch #21862 by Luis Herrera.
- Fixed overwriting ruby executable when BASERUBY was not set. Bug #24958 by Michael Soulier.
- Ensure we’re in a RubyGems dir when installing.
- Deal with extraneous quotation mark when autogenerating .bat file on MS Windows. Bug #22712.
- Gem::manage_gems has been removed.
- Time::today will be removed in RubyGems 1.4.
Special thanks to Chad Wooley for backwards compatibility testing and Luis Lavena and Daniel Berger for continuing windows support.